After several meetings with district management, AFT achieved a tentative agreement on 2 MOUs related to Distance Education. AFT’s goal was to place a “pause on all evaluations” due to the transition to online teaching/working remotely for all faculty during this time of COVID. The MOU on evaluations, even though some evaluations will still take place, AFT advocated that the intent of the evaluation process shall be conducted in a compassionate and supportive manner, not in a punitive manner. The District agreed with that intent. The first MOU is simply an extension of the MOU we had for faculty training/mentors and the 2nd MOU is related to the suspension of most faculty evaluations for this academic year (see attached MOUs).
Summary of MOU related to Suspension of Evaluations for Fall 2020 - Spring 2021:
1. Suspend all evaluations of tenured faculty and non-contract faculty on the longevity list.
2. Temporary full-time faculty and non-contract faculty will be evaluated in their first semester using Article 12. This is for newly hired faculty.
3. Non-contract faculty members who are in their fifth semester will receive an evaluation if requested by the faculty member. Faculty members must request to be evaluated by October 15, 2020.
4. Tenure-track (probationary) faculty will continue to be evaluated as stated in Article 11 of the CBA.
5. Faculty teaching hybrid or face-to-face in Career Tech programs and Athletics may be evaluated if BOTH the faculty member and supervisor approve.
6. The term for this MOU covers Fall 2020 and Spring 2021.
a) Will student evaluations be conducted? Yes.
b) If a faculty member is on an improvement plan, will they automatically be evaluated? No.
Both MOUs are subject to the VCCCD Board of Trustees approval on Tuesday, October 13. We expect them to be approved.
You may download a copy of the MOU's here:
COVID distance education training
Faculty evaluations during COVID
Ventura County Federation of College Teachers, AFT Local 1828
The Ventura County Federation of College Teachers. AFT, Local 1828, is a labor union representing over 1,200 faculty members of the Ventura County Community College District who serve approximately 32,000 students enrolled in the district's three colleges - Moorpark, Oxnard and Ventura.